Face Facts: Facial Muscles That Take Part in Everyday Face Expressions
Facial expressions are an integral part of our communication and play a crucial role in conveying our emotions. The human face has over 43 muscles that work together to create different expressions. These facial muscles are responsible for our ability to smile, frown, wink, and convey a wide range of emotions. In this article, we will explore the facial muscles that take part in everyday face expressions.
The Facial Muscles That Take Part in Everyday Face Expressions
1. Zygomaticus major: This muscle is responsible for the upward movement of the corners of the mouth, creating a smile. It is also involved in expressing joy and happiness.
2. Orbicularis oculi: This muscle encircles the eye and is responsible for closing the eyelid. It also contributes to expressing emotions like happiness, sadness, and surprise.
3. Frontalis: This muscle covers the forehead and is responsible for raising the eyebrows. It is involved in expressing surprise, worry, and fear.
4. Corrugator supercilii: This muscle is located between the eyebrows and is responsible for pulling them downward and inward. It is involved in expressing sadness, anger, and frustration.
5. Orbicularis oris: This muscle encircles the lips and is responsible for puckering and protruding the lips. It is involved in expressing emotions like kissing and blowing.
6. Buccinator: This muscle is located in the cheeks and is responsible for compressing the cheeks inward. It is involved in expressing emotions like smiling and blowing.